Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Destiny Program - Gathas (2010)

Remember the first half of the 2000s, when metalcore was the biggest subject of hate among basement-dwelling metal elitists all over the world? Bands copying Killswitch Engage and As I lay Dying (who were mostly just copying Pantera and Machine Head) were going rampant, and while some people found mixing groove metal with hardcore enjoyable, every band that had a song with one palm muted chug breakdown and/or clean vocal choruses was labeled 'pussy' metal - just like deathcore is 'emo'/'gay' and slam death is 'wigger' today - by the other group. Ah, the good old days. Well, let's not get all nostalgic now, I should get started with the actual review. The Destiny Program are a metalcore band from Germany, and they have both breakdowns and clean vocals. To add some fuel to the fire, their style is remarkably melodic due to the... well, melodic harmonizations in the riffage. A good example would be the song titled 'Avesta', which got me hooked in the first place, and that's when I decided to grab the whole album. Apparently it has some connection to Zoroastrianism regarding the concept, which doesn't have much to do with the music itself, but I thought it'd be interesting to some of you cultists out there. I liked it a lot, so I quickly got hold of the previous one too... (will be included in my following post)