Monday, August 1, 2011

FolkStone - Sgangogatt (2011)

FolkStone hails from Italy and this is there third album. This is a concept album and features only acoustic instrumental work. Just as there other works, everything here is very original and unique. They level of musicianship does garner some added appreciation as they are very talented. They have kind of a medieval sound which makes them similar to Schlemish and Corvus Corax.

In a nutshell, this album really strikes me as perfect background music for drinking in a pub. Despite being only instrumental tracks with the odd grunt here and there it does have great flow. Admittedly, it losses marks because quite simply I probably won't feel like listening to instrumental works in the day to day. At the end of they day this merely background noise and doesn't really grab you in anyway.

Over the years FolkStone has evolved some and much to my dismay I think they went in the wrong direction. I've always thought of FolkStone as more of folk rock band with a slight edge but I did find myself listening to the self titled every once in a while. I think most will pass on this as it kinda lacks the "metal" factor and is included on a metal blog. In any case I give it a 6/10 as I can appreciate what the band is trying to do.

  • Quality: 320 kbps MP3 / CBR